About Me

My photo
I live on a ranch in West Texas, where my husband, son, and I raise a few cattle. Our only crop is feed for the cows and my husband insists he is a "rancher" rather than a "farmer," although the place we now call home used to be his grandfather's farm. I drive 75 miles to Abilene for my job as a University librarian. I love the job and the drive.

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Thing 23 - Celebration!

WOW. I had no idea of all the things I would be learning! I've added a lot of new knowledge about what is available on the web and Web 2.0 tools, but I have also added a whole new skill set.

What were your favorite discoveries or exercises on this learning journey?
My favorite discoveries have been Flickr (although I knew about it, I had never navigated in it), mashups and all the cool online image creation tools, TeacherTube and knowing how to embed videos. Professionally, the most helpful discoveries have been Google Docs, wikis, blogs and how to find relevant ones, and Ning.

How has this program assisted or affected your lifelong learning goals?
No question but that this program has expanded my outlook, afforded me new skills, and built my confidence in meeting the challenges of new technology. I now feel prepared to help move my library forward toward 2.0 or whatever is next. I also feel I can intelligently join into the professional conversation regarding the tension between what our users need and want and what libraries want to be doing.

Were there any take-a-ways or unexpected outcomes from this program that surprised you?
I am totally surprised at how much I've learned! And I am amazed at the talented people in the world who share their abilities freely on the web, and those that constantly push its limits and force it to evolve.

What could we do differently to improve upon this program’s format or concept?
I really liked the format, and I think you have provided links to a variety of information. You might be sure that all the links go where they need to (Furl and Magnolia come to mind. And could you make sure Ning for Teachers is really a Ning?) I especially loved the Common Craft videos!

If we offered another discovery program like this in the future, would you choose to participate?
Yes, in a heartbeat.

How would you describe your learning experience in ONE WORD or in ONE SENTENCE, so we could use your words to promote 23 Things learning activities?
23 Things is a door to a million learning opportunities.

Now go and comment on some of the other Players' blogs.
I have, and let me comment to you that I really appreciate Spring Branch ISD opening up this learning opportunity to those of us beyond your doors. It would not otherwise have been possible for me to learn these Things! This is what Web 2.0 sharing is all about: offering your knowledge, your expertise, your time, to all regardless of geography, without a cost barrier, and without prerequisites. Thank you very much!

2 comments:

  1. Yaaay! Congratulations!! I'm so happy for you!! We both made it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And congratulations to you too! You spurred me on, knowing that someone else had as many things left as I did and a short time to do them, but was not giving up! You helped me believe it was possible to finish! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete